Thought I'd do myself a little recipe post here, following this week's St Patrick's Day Colcannon, and I've thought of at least 3 other ways to do something else with your mash without ruining the taste.
- Okay, you cook your potatoes
- Then when they're done tip away the water, leave in the pan to dry a bit, add some milk, warm gently and mash.
- With your other hand, shred your cabbage, and cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- When it's cooked, tip the water away slap a knob of butter in and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Then, pop your cabbage in with your potato, stir well and season with salt & pepper.
- Okay, do your mash with one hand, do everything apart from add milk....
- Now with your other hand chop some scallions (spring onions) and gently simmer in a pan of milk, slap the milk & onions in your potatoes, mix, add a knob of butter and serve.
Bubble & SqueakThis is basically leftover vegetables (the cooked carrots, sprouts, peas, parsnips broccoli etc etc from yesterdays roast dinner) mashed up and mixed with the leftover mashed potato.
If you didn't have any mashed potato left, then you'd better cook yourself some, cos you're going to need it...
|Here's some I made earlier, with a tomato sauce accompaniment|
Once you've got your mix of mash & veg, put it in a buttery frying pan, squash it down into the pan (so it covers the bottom) leave it a good 5-10 minutes, and then turn it over, don't flip it like a pancake - that won't work, just use your utensil to turn it over, leave to brown and turn again. You'll know when it's done, because your mouth will be watering so much you'll have to stop.
A nice poached egg works well with this.