- 6 medium courgettes (cut lengthways, then into quarters, remove the middles (the seedy bit) and then into 3.5cm batons (same length as penne pasta).
- 500g penne pasta
- 4 eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 2 heaped tbsp grated parmesan
- 12 thick slices of streaky bacon (chopped into pieces) or lardons
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Small bunch thyme chopped
- Get the pasta water boiling & cook the pasta.
- Make up a sauce of egg yolks, cream, 1tbsp parmesan, seasonings & leave for now.
- Put your pasta on to cook as you would normally
- In a big frying pan: heat the oil, add the bacon/lardons, courgettes, a good pinch of black pepper and thyme and cook until the courgettes start to colour golden.
- When draining the pasta keep some of the pasta water aside (1/2 pint max).
- Working quickly:
- Remove the frying pan from the heat,
- Add the cooked pasta and the sauce plus a ladle of the pasta water (if it's looking too thick you might need to add another ladle (or half-ladle).
- Stir well until the heat from the pan has cooked the sauce through thoroughly and the sauce is creamy and glossy.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan and serve.