Pages

Sunday 6 May 2012

Allotment harvest (6May): Rhubarb, Leeks and Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Thank you allotment!


IMAG0329
Today's yummy harvest includes:
  • Purple sprouting broccoli (which I'll simply steam)
  • Rhubarb (which I'll turn into a crumble)
  • Leeks (which I'll either steam or pan fry in butter)
The leeks have been in the allotment over winter, some of them had begun to go to seed, but since this stint of cold weather they've hung on a bit longer.  And they've kept me going over winter/spring - I love leeks, they stay in the ground and you just pick them as you need them.

The rhubarb was a plant I brought from my old allotment, which has been in since 2007, each year it gets bulkier and bulkier.  The stalks don't go completely pink, and I don't force it either, I just let it go a bit wild.  I'm planning on moving this year - I could probably get a couple of good sized cuttings off it for anyone who wants them?  I mainly turn rhubarb into crumble, but last year made a cake (rhubarb, raspberry & custard), but I would like to make something else rhubarby, like a jam or a chutney.  I've made rhubarb ice cream before (which is delicious), so I might make that again.

The broccoli was inherited from the allotment next door - I was offered the plot last month and it has about 3 purple sprouting broccoli plants on it  - bonus!  Especially as I didn't get mine in early enough and missed the spring-brassica season.

No comments:

Post a Comment